De acordo com castanhas para venda :
Chestnut storage is not the same as most nuts. Fresh chestnuts should be stored like carrots. Chestnuts are comprised of about 40-50% water and thus if not stored properly, they will spoil. Therefore, chestnuts should be stored with great care and attention. The ideal storage conditions for chestnuts are 33-35 degrees Fahrenheit and 85-90% humidity. We recommend storing chestnuts in covered containers in the coldest part of the refrigerator. Stored properly in the refrigerator, chestnuts can have a shelf life of approximately 2-3 weeks. If you plan to use the chestnuts soon after receiving them, simply place them in a covered container in the coldest part of the refrigerator. The colder, the better.
Caso contrário, eles recomendam congelá-los (de preferência parados) e fornecer informações no link acima.
Washington Chestnut oferece as seguintes informações sobre o armazenamento de castanhas, para evitar a moldagem a que elas indicam que as castanhas são suscetíveis devido a seu alto teor de água:
- Do not let fresch chestnuts freeze and thaw (except if you are freezing for a purpose)
- Never store chestnuts in a sealed plastic bag (except dried or frozen)
- Keep chestnuts refrigerated unless drying or sweetening the chestnuts
- If black molds have entered into the chestnut kernel, do not eat the chestnut
- Chestnuts can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks
- Cooked chestnuts must also be refrigerated if not consumed right away
- Never bathe the chestnuts in plain water - this causes mold spores to be transferred to all the chestnuts passing though the bath water - instead, wash in clean running tap water
- Try to purchase fresh chestnuts close to the time you want to eat them